Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Miles of Blues

Back in 1988, I got this bug to hit the road once again.  So... in the middle of January I felt that it would be a good idea to drop off my truck at my Sister's house and jump on the cross country bus to Seattle Washington.  Plan was... once there I would take the the ferry over to Bremerton and see where my folks had lived in the early years of their marriage.  Then I would start a little walk south down the coast to Hearst Castle in California.  In my down time of backpacking I was going to work on writing a fictional novel based on the back scene world of the construction of Hearst Castle.  The focus of the story being the Architect,  Julia Morgan and her relationships with all the talented craftsman & their families who actually built the Castle over many years.  The Wealthy & Hollywood Glamour Stars of the era are the bit players in this account of days gone by. 

 I got some unique experiences on that "walk".  But it was a real drag having to stop and dry all my stuff out every couple of days because of the wet North-West climate.  I had money, not a lot but I could eat everyday and get what I needed.  Many days I found myself sheltered and fed by those whom I met along the way.  But I was on an adventure in life.  I could change my situation at anytime if it started to really suck.

When I picture and think about the 71 year old John Bartee walking down the side of the road in Tennessee in 1983 I realize he was not on an adventure.... this is what had become of his life.  Thin with a scraggly beard trying to get anywhere in the Hot summer sun.   I was in my thirties on my last physical road trip, and I have worked a career all my life that has demanded a physical toll on my body.  Yet I  can't imagine living on the road at age 71 carrying what ever he owned.  I can relate to how it would have felt having someone stop and offer me a ride... then food & shelter under the conditions I have traveled.  For an older man like John who was described to me as, "someone whom had walked a hard path in life"... it had to be like an angel sent from  heaven when that car rolled up along side of  him.  During those days on the road when your only company are the thoughts within you.  I  think the one thing John always had to offer him any comfort  would have been the Music Serenading in his head....

Most of us have grown up in a world which has offered us a level of comfort... even if many don't think so.  Generations back individuals learned to make it through tough times, and for most... the rest of their lives they didn't take good times or comfort for granted.  We now have generations of individuals who know nothing of  indentured servitude, slavery, forced labor, The Great Depression & World Wars... none which cared what color your skin was.  We as a society haven't known the real pain from a lack of food & shelter.  We have become a Country weaned on a McDonalds mentality, and a need to be taken care of by the Nannie State.  Many feel work is pushing buttons and papers in an air conditioned office while avoiding any real responsibility.  Most people do not have any concept, or true experience of day after day physical labor resulting in real productivity. Being able to read, write and think for yourself... understanding right from wrong are required in life.  And... whether you prepare the burger for some high level self-focused Politician. Or... if you are that Political Player who thinks nothing of  lying to the slaves that are preparing your food.  Hard times are a coming. so I offer up the Blues to get you through.  Grab on to your MUSIC for you may need a means to Serenade yourself on the long journey down the road ahead.

An introduction  to a couple of these performers was made to me over at  Jas Obrecht's  Music Blog  SqueezeMyLemon

Jessie Mae Hemphill  ~  Standing in My Doorway Crying



Precious Bryant   ~   Black Rat Swing





R.L. Burnside  ~  Goin' Down South








R.L. Burnside and Kenny Brown











R.L. Burnside  ~  It's Bad You Know



No comments :

Post a Comment