Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pupi Campo - The Missing Pepi Campellio?

In a previous post I made note the mention of John's arranging  work on page 5 in "New York Doings" part of the Nov/Dec 1945 newsletter  The Score  of ASMA  (American Society of Music Arrangers) now know as ASMAC American Society of Music Composers & Arrangers.

JOHN BARTEE scored a Columbia short
for Noro Morales and is making up arrangements for Pepi Campellio's new band, while still continuing his regular arranging for Machito's Orchestra, of the London Club
 
For the longest time I have searched for Pepi Campellio with no luck.  The name Pupi Campo seemed to always be popping up in all my research.  I didn't put too much into going down that path even though the names were similar I had no real connection.  You google Pepi Campellio and your results will be this website and the original  SCORE article.

I had no link until I started my new game of finding album covers with some connection to John. One thing lead to another and I found this note on Pupi Campo.

"Pupi Campo was born in Havana, Cuba, on May 1st, 1920. Campo was born Jacinto Campillo, and was the second of five children: Georgina, Alejandro, Armando and Josephina. While dancing in a Havana nightclub in 1940, Campo was noticed by New York club owner, Irving Sussman. Sussman invited the young man to look him up "if he were ever in New York City." Campo and his friend Armando Guin, began selling raffle tickets for a nickel the next day, and within a month, Campo took a boat called the "Floridita" to Miami, and was in New York and knocking on Mr.Sussman's door..."

Campo born Jacinto Campillo, now that's not too much of a stretch to get to Campellio.  Researchers of census records will tell you name spelling many times is recorded how the writer hears it.  Given that Pupi is Pepi now makes this a possiblity.    Could Pepi Campellio actually be Pupi "Campillio" Campo.

Last night my search got interesting when I searched for more personal information on Pupi Campo.  Not alot written online and I didn't feel like pulling all my books out where I have seen a bit of info on him.  Online we see his listing at the Internet Movie Database where a few things were.

Pupi Campo born May 1, 1920... I am not sure if the year is correct as I have found mention of him being 81 in 2007 and that he came to the United States in 1940 at age 16.

The IMDb listing gives the name of his second wife as  Betty Clooney  who he was married to from
7 September 1955 - until her early death on 7 August 1976  .   Mmmm.... could this be Rosemary & Nick's younger sister?  You know it was. They met while working on the CBS Morning Show with Jack Parr, which Parr took over from Walter Cronkite.



IMDb gives this bit of info for Pupi Campo:
Where Are They Now
(September 2009) In Las Vegas, where he lives
(September 2009) In Virginia Beach visiting his son Carlos, who is Chief Academic Officer at Regent University

Now this is good... as I live within a fifteen minute drive of Regent University.  I did a search on Carlos.  Betty & Pupi must have been great role models for their 4 children... as on August 1, 2010, Dr. Carlos Campo became the new President of Regent University in Virginia Beach, Virginia.




So... could Pupi Campo be a link to the Music of John Bartee?   A  Man whose story of coming  alone to the United States at age 16 was shared by Dr. Carlos Campo to an audience at The Latin Chamber of Commerce’s Career Day Scholarship Program in 2007.  Dr. Campo surprised everyone after the story when  he introduced his 81 year old father who was sitting in the audience. Pupi Campo stood up and received a long and loud ovation. It was a said to be a moving moment for Carlos and his father.

Is... Pepi Campellio...  Pupi Campo... whose new band John Bartee was doing arrangements for in 1945?

From the music I have listened to and the fact that Chico O'Farrill & Tito Puente also with connections to Machito were involved musically with Pupi Campo. There does seem to be a connection to John's hand.

I guess I will have to see if I can meet Dr. Carlos Campo very soon.  Maybe, somewhere in Las Vegas there are some original arrangements from 1945 which may have the memories of an 84 - 90 year old Band Leader still attached.


An added note in regards to Betty Clooney,  in 1983 her sister & extended family started the  Betty Clooney Foundation in her honor.

NOTE:  Pupi Campo died December 12, 2011  (click link for more information)

3 comments :

  1. I am sorry to say I am starting to think that the Music Industry code of silence has answered the above questions. I hope I am wrong.

    I did contact Dr. Campo's executive secretary as to allow her the ability to present this post & the website to him at a time when he wasn't overwhelmed with the seriousness of his position at Regent University.

    I followed up with a letter that same day to her with the internet links & all my contact info. And someone from Regent made a visit to the website within 48 hours. Followed by a closely timed visit from Las Vegas.

    A couple weeks later I receive a follow-up email which confused me from the Executive Secretary asking me if I was going to email the links & info about the website we had spoke on the phone about. I called her again referring her to the day which I had sent the original message & followed up with a new copy. I told her it seemed that the original messages seemed to have been received due to visits from the Regent Web Server. All of this handled very politely and professionally from both sides.

    I did ask her at that time if I could at least get word back whether the above post may have some truth attached or if I was completely off target. Just a simple yes, or no. Was Pupi Campo the above noted Pepi Campellio.

    At this point I don't know really what to think. I feel that I went through the proper channels to start a dialog with Dr. Campo and truly hope that I am not being brushed off without any response at all.

    I do know that the video above which CBN made available on Youtube gets more hits & referrals from this site than any other.

    When trying to document the memories of individuals over the age of 80, I have learned days are very important when in relation to Life's calender.

    Please call Carlos. Your office has my number & email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, the inauguration ceremony for Dr. Carlos Campo, Pupi's son, will be tomorrow, October 28 at Regent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anonymous,

    Yes... I was aware it was coming up. I had hoped I would have received a response from the above individuals prior to now. It would have been nice to have had the chance to meet Pupi Campo in person and get information directly from him.

    Since there has been no action on their part to even verify my simple yes or no question, I don't think it would be a situation that would welcome my attendance.

    Kind of disappointing. I will continue to wait maybe God will open their hearts, as this is not about the music industry & money... its about John's life.

    This could have made for a very good human interest story at CBN, especially once all the details of locating John Bartee and then finding his son were made known.

    ReplyDelete