Thursday, August 19, 2010

"I'll Never Sing with a Dance Band Again" - Billie Holiday

Was doing a search over at DownBeat's archives and came across an interview that Billie Holiday did back in November 1939.  It was worth a laugh,  and I can see it all happening the way she says.  Now I have records for two individuals that it seems Artie didn't show the money.  Billie says, Artie Shaw never payed her for the Bluebird recording of Any Old Time, to think the people I bought my 78 from made more money off one copy than she did.  I pulled my record out and noticed Back Bay Shuffle on the other side with credits to (Macrae - Shaw).  Funny,  John probably got a very small amount of money for the arrangement, and Artie got fame & fortune that he says he hated.   I guess John outfoxed Mr. Shaw on that deal!








                                                     Lady Day   1915-1959







No comments :

Post a Comment