Tuesday, August 10, 2010

An Interview with Artie Shaw - David Susskind Show / 12/23/84

There were a lot more fun things to do in 1984 then listening to Artie Shaw talk... Still are, but since I just read "Three Chords for Beauty's Sake" I thought I'd give it a view.  This was a good time period in his life to do an interview,  he's 74 years old living with a 28 year old, and he has a new band on the road. 

I did like his reasoning behind a kid wanting an autograph... because he idolized Shaw.  I believe Shaw basically felt we as individuals need to take more pride in ourselves and developing our own abilities than to worship some flavor of the month celebrity.  Isn't that somewhere in the Old Testament?  Something about False Idols...  The interview with Cannonball Adderley over at Stomp Off,  in part #2 Mr. Adderley basically says the same thing,  as humans we need to respect & take more pride in ourselves first.  Not basing our identity just on the organizations which we belong.  Artie would probably be telling a lot of kids to start by just pulling up their pants, and to read a book.

Problem is you just can't convey that message when you refer to the autograph seekers as those Idiot Fans... 


4 comments :

  1. I always considered Artie to be a better musician than Benny Goodman, my erstwhile boss (I was his autograph signer, no kidding), and he was definitely a more interesting person—a man whose intellect carried him far beyond the music he so eloquently rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David --

    Thanks for posting this video, but I unfortunately can't see it 'cause it's for US-cizizens's-eyes only. Maybe you could download it, and re-up it via Blogger?

    Thanks, and swingin' regards,

    Brew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruno,

    I'll see what I can do for those outside of the United States that don't have a U.S. IP address which the Hulu net servers require to get in. Its a free site payed for by advertisers of US products & services. There are commercials included, I am assuming the World is not the advertiser's target audience. Sorry to my non - U.S. readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,

    So you are saying all those Benny Goodman admirers have FAKE autographs in their box of treasures. Can you image how many times they have proudly showed off YOUR autograph.

    This news could come as crushing blow to hardcore Goodman fans. Shaw fans need not worry as authentic autographs were always signed, "Now go Away, Artie Shaw".

    ReplyDelete