Thursday, July 22, 2010

Picture of Jimmy Dorsey & John Bartee?

I need some assistance in locating a picture I saw back in 2003.  I thought I had seen it originally in the book, Jimmy Dorsey:  A Study in Contrasts.  I got hold of the book again last week and its not there.  Then I remember I had looked at the book, Tommy & Jimmy by Herb Sanford... even remembering the picture of the New Years Eve costume party.  Got the book... party pictures there...  the picture I am looking for is not.  Well, my local Library where I got what ever book I saw this picture apparently likes to get rid older books for newer ones, so I can't find the picture I once saw.

The picture is of Jimmy Dorsey and another man walking toward the photographer.  I believe it was a full page picture on the left side page of the book.  In 2003 I had no idea what John looked like other than in 1936 & 2000.  I have since gotten the 1946 picture of him in California.  The man in the picture with Dorsey caught my eye for some reason and not knowing what John really looked like in the 40's at that time I took a closer look. The caption identifies Jimmy Dorsey but the other man is listed as UNKNOWN.  It may be in a book on Latin Jazz that has a 2 page picture of the Machito Orchestra in the center & the same picture of Machito as the cover I believe.  The book may be just a general reference book on music history.  But I would like to compare the picture of  John in 1946 to the unknown man in this missing but existing & published picture of Jimmy Dorsey.  It may even have been taken on the same day as the one I have on the John Lewis Bartee post. 

I know a lot of you read about the Big Bands & Music History.  One way or another lets identify that unknown man.

No comments :

Post a Comment