Monday, July 5, 2010

An Original "Killer Joe" - updated Aug.2, 2010

Years ago when my search began I came across an ASCAP registration for music titled "Killer Joe" that John composed.  Popular Music Company founded by the late Mort Browne held the publishing rights for a tune that ASCAP was listing as having no known recordings.  I found one in the Library of Congress & another copy in Dr. Diaz-Ayala's musical archives in Miami, Florida.  The tune was originally recorded on Gabriel Oller's original CODA label prior to the formation of his SMC (Spanish Music Center) label.

  Killer Joe / Bartee-Hernandez. Performed by Rene Hernandez orchestra. Swing-mambo. recording #1207 on Coda Album 5099 (78A)

I then found reference in an article by Max Salazar in Latin Beat Magazine April, 1999 issue.  The article which I refer and all credit to Mr. Salazar can be read in full online at: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FXV/is_3_9/ai_54927447/?tag=content;col1

The article refers to 6 Cuban Musicians that were honored at the Smithsonian Institute on February 27, 1999, for their contributions to the evolution of the Mambo & Afro Cuban jazz.  One of these six men being Mario Bauza the director of  the Machito Orchestra.  As  Mr. Salazar spoke at the ceremony of the history of Afro-Cuban jazz and the specific individuals being honored.  The original recordings of the tunes Tanga, Manteca, Killer Joe, Cubop City, Con Poco Coco and Intermission Riff were heard throughout the auditorium.

In published accounts and interviews over the years Mario Bauza referred to the "White Arranger", John Bartee who was arranging for Cab Calloway while Mr. Bauza & Dizzy Gillespie were part of the Calloway organization.  In 1941 Mr. Bauza left Cab Calloway while on the road to join the already existing Machito Orchestra, lead by his brother-in-law Frank Grillo,  he brought along the idea to merge the big band jazz sound with the elements of the Cuban rhythms.  To this goal he enlisted the jazz music arrangers John Bartee & Edgar Sampson to develop and orchestrate a Big Band sound for Machito.  Both Bartee & Sampson had links to Bauza thru Chick Webb's Band which Bauza was involved prior to Calloway.  John's links being his original arrangement of  Teddy McRae's  "Back Bay Shuffle".  McRae was working with  Webb in Boston at the same time Artie Shaw was also playing there around 1937.  In June of 2010  I was informed by John's ex. sister-in-law that he was also arranging for Ella Fitzgerald,  I do not know if this was before Mr. Webb's death or after when Ms. Fitzgerald directed the Webb Band.

Returning to the  recording of Killer Joe,  when I originally came across this tune the name jumped off the page. Immediately... the version of  "Killer Joe"  that we all know of composed by Mr. Benny Golson. came to mind.  Not knowing what to think... I did what I always do, I continued to search.  During this time I discovered an online Web page referring to Popular Music Company & their musical catalog.   I think great...     I'll contact the person who posted the site   http://www.fyicomminc.com/mort/mortbrowne.htm and maybe they will make the original score of John's Killer Joe available to me so I can see if there are any similarities to Mr. Golson's great tune or what it might be.  A woman representing herself as the creator of the website with first hand knowledge of the boxes of Popular Music Company archives responds to my phone call.  I tell her my relationship with John Bartee and the research I am doing on his life while noting the Killer Joe composition that ASCAP has listed.  She tells me that she will get back with me after she makes some contacts.  What does she do...  she contacts Mr. Golson herself (see below) saying she has been in touch with a relative of a composer that published a tune also titled Killer Joe previous to his original version.
BEST
(NOTE in the time since I have learned that years ago musicians when they would sit around and create if a fellow musician came up with a hot riff or melody they would say, "That's a Killer Joe". )

 When I got her email back telling me what she had done along with Mr. Golson's response it was just one more time I shook my head in amazement over the motives others had when I have shared information.  My motivation has always been to discover some facts of a man's life so as to remember him.  Like many things in this world the dreams of  fame & fortune tend to be the motivation for many.  As for Mr. Golson I do appreciate how he set this individual straight.  In regards, to a "Killer Joe",  what was HOT in 48' was much HOTTER a decade later when Mr. Golson created a true "KILLER JOE".


Hello, Benny,

I am a musician and website designer
I am a friend of the late Mort Browne who owned Popular Music Co.
I got a call from the grand nephew of John Bartee who published with Mort. The conjecture is that John wrote a version of KILLER JOE and that his predated your composition.
Can you clarify this for me? 



Diva Joan Cartwright
FYI COMMUNICATIONS, INC.



          VERSION is not an original melody of a composition.  It is merely a version, not the melody.
          The melody of this composition came from the creative thoughts of my imagination alone,
          and is registered with the bureau of copyrights in Washington, DC. for all time.  There is

          wrote the composition.  You are speaking of something that is absolutely impossible and
          ridiculous.  I don't know what you have in mind, but... BE CAREFUL !  I am well prepared
          for ANY eventuality.

          Yours truly,
          Benny Golson                  

     
Sun, Aug 17, 2003 05:34 PM

Benny, no danger of infringing on your copyright. Just inquiring as to if you knew a song written by Bartee entitled the same as yours. Didn't mean to offend.
Thanks
Joan Cartwright

           

          Ms. Cartwright,

          I am kind of numb from the email I have received from you.  I was trying to approach the
          "Killer Joe" composition quietly.  And as I stated to you on the phone I wanted to have all my
          facts straight first.

          John Bartee had a composition named "Killer Joe" possibly named for "Killer Joe" Piro a dance
          instructor at the Palladium where Machito was a regular dance band.  Its a swing mambo.
          I don't  know that it shares anything in common with Mr. Golson's  "Killer Joe" but the title.

          I had emailed Mr. Golson before speaking with you,  asking him about Tadd Dameron and
          John Bartee.  But now I have an idea why I received no response.

          I contacted you first,  looking for the sheet music of Popular Music and once I listen to the
          actual recording if it bares any similarity to Mr. Golson's Killer Joe I will allow the recording
          to speak for itself.     

          My reasons for this search revolve around making a record of the life of John Lewis Bartee.
          They are not financial, I am interested in knowing your reason.

          Sincerely,
          David M. Wade Jr.                 
          

Mon, Aug 18, 2003 12:50AM
David, I thought you were trying to learn if it was the same Killer Joe
I did what I thought was helpful
Excuse me if I was wrong.
There are many songs with different melody and same name
I suppose this is one of them.


Like Duh...


On March 24, 2004 I sat in a listening booth at the Library of Congress prepared to hear the original Coda #5099 recording of Killer Joe / Composed by John Bartee  as performed by The Rene Hernandez Orchestra  (this was basically the Machito Orchestra but to get around recording contracts many bands would take on a different identity to record with other labels). The remote operator ask me over the speaker if I was ready to listen, I answer, "YES... finally!"  The music started and within seconds I knew it was... No Noise  , a one sided version of the composition that Charlie Parker soloist part 2 & Flip Phillips soloist part 1 backed up by the  Machito Orchestra recorded in December 1948 under the supervision of Norman Granz. My original 78 version is on a Mercury Label although Granz's Verve record label seems to be the one that currently re-releases this Parker Classic. The playback operator ask at the end of the recording, "You want to hear it again?"  Sure lets listen one more time.


Recently while preparing my notes to write of this Killer Joe I came across another article by Max Salazar on the 50th Anniversary of Cubop, Latin Beat Magazine , November 1998. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FXV/is_9_8/ai_53925548/

  In his article he states what a trip to Washington DC. and a pair of headphones had shown me.
        
"In 1947, the Machito orchestra, under the direction of its pianist, René Hernández, recorded 
Killer Joe,which one year later was retitled No Noise and featured sax soloists Flip Phillips &
Charlie Parker." 


                                                                       Mort Browne's widow was the owner of  the                                                                   Popular Music Company, upon her death
she left it to her Nurse / Caretaker.  Having recently spoken with the new owner,  any records for Popular Music Company & its music library have disappeared in the time since I  have spoken to the previously noted website owner.  Is it another case of history in a storage unit disposed of  as trash?  Like the story of Gabriel Oiler's warehouse cleared of cases of new albums and historial documents of recording sessions for the Coda & SMC music labels after his death.  The new owner of Popular Music Company & her family were planning on stopping at ASCAP Nashville, Tennessee offices while on vacation this month to see what she does control.  She seemed like a very nice lady,  maybe ASCAP will look into any claim of royalties she has for the original musical publishing rights for "Killer Joe" before & after it was
                                                                                    re-titled and  recorded as "No Noise"
                                                                                                                       Parts 1 & 2.



Now that would be a 

"Killer Joe" !!!


Update:  as of August 2, 2010,  ASCAP has opened an inquiry of the composition Killer Joe


Preview "No Noise"  



A Question for the readers,  does anyone know how a tune that originally was classified as a Swing Mambo became Afro-Cuban Bop part of the  Cubop movement?  Does it just take a minimum of 12 months of time to pass and a title change?  Or was it because when it was originally recorded they had not yet discovered they had created Cubop so there was no official name.  Kind of like... you get called what we got at the time.  But... if it was part of  Cubop wouldn't the minute it was created be the point of discovery or creation?   But I thought it was a Swing Mambo at creation... I hate evolution it just causes problems.

Mmmm...   Hope that question doesn't confuse 60 years of Cubop history because I see alot of John's work labeled Swing Mambo that was good for the dance bands.  If anyone has a dance video to "No Noise" please send it to me. 
BEST

2 comments :

  1. John L. Bartee gave my wife and I a gift for our hospitality. ( a LONG story ) Janis picked him up.. a long bearded gent. He was hitchhiking down Hwy 45 in Jackson Tn. She brought John home and we fed him and allowed him to stay the night. He was VERY thankful and left the next day. He insisted we have his music notebook. This was 10-26-83. In the notebook is "NB California" another song called "Brighter Than Brite" , "Tic Tac Toe". I hope you find this of interest. He was a good hearted gentleman. It was a pleasure for us to help him on his journey. Rob and Janis Drake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob & Janis,

    Thank you for your response. A side from finding John's son finally a couple of months ago, your comment is so very appreciated. It gives me hopes that these years of piecing together John's life has meaning.

    Please contact me at coppervalleyfoundation@juno.com

    I look forward to talking with you.

    David.

    ReplyDelete