Thursday, August 19, 2010

"I'll Never Sing with a Dance Band Again" - Billie Holiday

I was searching DownBeat's archives and came across an interview Billie Holiday did in November 1939.  It was worth a laugh,  and I can see it all happening the way she says.  Now I have records for two individuals that it seems Artie didn't pay them.  Billie says Artie Shaw never paid her for the Bluebird recording of Any Old Time; to think the people I bought my 78 from made more money off one copy than she did.  I pulled my record out and noticed Back Bay Shuffle on the other side, with credits to (Macrae-Shaw).  Funny,  John probably got a very small amount of money for the arrangement, and Artie got fame & fortune that he says he hated.   I guess John outfoxed Mr. Shaw on that deal!








                                                     Lady Day   1915-1959







No comments :

Post a Comment